I had grand plans last year as I mentioned in my Resolutions 2013 post. These were the aims…
- 12 Sweaters, Cardigans, Tops
- 12 Socks (6 pairs)
- 12 Mittens, Gloves (6 Pairs)
- 12 WIPs or Queue Items
- 12 Favourites
- 12 Scarves, Cowls, Shawls
- 12 Hexipuffs per month (12 x 12)
- 12 Techniques (New and Previously Used)
- 12 Seasonal Decorations
- 12 Wildcards
- 12,000 Yards Knitted
- 12 Months Keeping my Knitting Stuff Organised
And with hindsight, probably a tad excessive. Maybe I was aware of this at the time, as I did add this postscript:
I’m planning on having a fair bit of overlap between the various categories, means I can tick off more early on!
Nevertheless the start of 2013 seemed like a good excuse to actually assess what I did last year in terms of these knitting goals.
So, here goes…
1. 12 Sweaters, Cardigans, Tops
- January Morning
- Viisi Päivä
Only three in the end. I am hoping to get more garments knitted this year, so maybe I will improve on this total in 2013.
2. 12 Socks, Slippers (6 pairs / 12 individual socks or slippers)
- Double-Layer Slippers
- Circle Socks
- Pink Elephants!
14 individual socks and slippers knitted, seven pairs. Am pretty impressed with this, 3 of the pairs were gifts and have been well-appreciated. Plus I finally got the Socks of Shame (Skew) finished!
3. 12 Mittens, Gloves (6 pairs/12 individual gloves or mittens)
- Twelfth Night Mittens
I need more mittens.
4. 12 WIPs or Queue Items (Started or Queued Pre-January 1st, 2012)
- January Morning (Started December 2011)
- Twelfth Night Mittens (Started December 2011)
- Sharktooth (Started December 2011)
- Arroway (Queued)
- Oeste (Queued)
- Vulpix (Queued)
- Cumulonimbus (Queued)
- Honeycomb Quilt (Started December 2011)
- Skew (Started June 2011)
Kimono Wrap(Started January 2011) – Still ongoing
Hmm… I cannot really remember what else was on my queue back at the start of last year. So this category will just have to be left as is. I did get all but one of the items started pre-2012 completed though. So that is good. Fingers crossed that the Kimono Wrap will finally get done in 2013.
5. 12 Favourites
I started listing these, then twigged that pretty much everything I’d knitted this year had been on my favourites list at some point. I think I can safely say I met this target.
6. 12 Scarves, Cowls, Shawls
- Flightless 1.0
- Hemlock Ring
- Slip Stitch Cowl
Shipwreck Shawl– Still ongoing
Two observations. 1. I knit fewer of these items than expected, and 2. I seem to have an obsession with Stephen West patterns.
7. 12 Hexipuffs per month (12 months of 12 hexipuffs)
- 230 Hexipuffs knitted between December 2011 and February 2012
As I suspected, I knew I’d go overboard with one of the categories. I just didn’t anticipate that it would be this one. Aim was for 144 hexipuffs over the year. I managed 230 in 3 months. Oops.
8. 12 New Techniques
- Magic Loop
- Afterthought Heel
- I-Cord Bind Off
- Two at a Time Socks – Top Down
- Two at a Time Socks – Toe Up
- Steek Sandwich
- Cables without a Cable Needle
- Spinning with a Drop Spindle
- Spinning with a Wheel
- Kitchener Stitch / Grafting
- Tunisian Crochet
- Pattern Designing
Lots of new things!
9. 12 Seasonal Decorations
- 26 Korknisse
- 3 Baubles
- 1 Festive Wreath
Total = 30 Decorations
All Christmas decorations, but to be honest that is the only time of year I have decorations up so that works.
10. 12 Wildcards
- Honeycomb Quilt
- Kentigern Blanket
- Phone Case
- Snapdragon Tam
- Bath Scrubbie
- Waffle Knit Scrubbie
- Boxy Scrubbie #2
- Boxy Scrubbie #3
Unsurprisingly, I went over in this category. But I always was easily sidetracked.
11. 12,000 Yards Knitted
Based on the project pages on Ravelry with yardage totals, I easily cleared the 16,500 yard mark. But this does not take into account all those projects which used scrap or non-stashed yarn – like the decorations or the Honeycomb Quilt. I think the quilt alone would take the total over the 20k mark.
12. 12 Months Keeping my Knitting Stuff Organised
Partially succeeded. Some months were messier than others. But I have no excuses(!) now that the office is organised better and I have space for things. I’ll spend some time this month getting everything sorted after the chaos I’ve created over the Christmas break. I appeared to have established a knitting nest (or fort – depending on your viewpoint) of papers, books, laptop, coffee cups, tissues, blankets, and knitting and spinning supplies at one end of the sofa.
Maybe I did better at this than I thought…