Holla Knits Blog Tour: Arciform

This is a very exciting pattern for me. As it is my first garment, and I adore it. A customisable-length, super cosy jacket with colour blocking and short row shaping.

The pattern is worked with three colours, though more could be added – maybe a contrast trim? And worked from the top down. Sleeves are worked with short row caps for a neat fit. And barring a little seaming at the shoulders, the whole thing is knitted as one piece.

Image (C) Holla Knits

The gray / green combination above is worked in Valley Yarns Berkshire Bulky in the Light and Dark Gray Heather, and Lime colour ways. The version shown below uses Knit Picks Brava Bulky in Seraphim, Mulberry and Peacock.

Image (C) Holla Knits

This pattern and the rest from the Holla Knits Winter 2015 collection can be found here.


Competition Time!

If you’d like to win a copy of this pattern, leave a comment below. The winner will be announced at 5pm GMT on Saturday 14th November!


The Blog Tour

Oct 26: Launch Day

Oct 27: The Sweatshop of Love

Oct 28: Cosmos and Cashmere

Oct 29: Brown Sheep Company Blog

Nov 3: Klever Knits

Nov 4: Canary Knits

Nov 5: Aphaia

Nov 9: Ashwini J Designs

Nov 10: The Owl and the Bee

Nov 11: Cosmos and Cashmere

FO: Abalone

The first finished object from February! Abalone, a shrug-like cardigan. Originally the pattern was written as a bottom-up pattern. But me being me, I reversed it and made it top-down. I blogged about this already – including the rather unfortunate mistake which was thankfully easily rectified. It still needs blocking, but I’m really pleased with how it turned out.

I used some yarn which I’ve had in stash for some time. I purchased the Manos del Uruguay Wool Clasica back in 2009. It got knitted up into a jumper (Ski Lodge Scoop). Then I lost weight, that jumper became too big, so it got frogged and this has been waiting to be reknitted for some time. It is fabulous yarn, and has stood up to being knitted, worn, frogged and reknitted really well. Quite an economical purchase in some respects! I was also able to spit-splice the separate balls of yarn back together, so there were not too many ends to sew in.

From my Ravelry Project Page – My Modifications and Notes

Notes

  • Knitting this top down.
  • Adding set-in sleeves (using top down short row sleeve method).
  • Switched to 5.5mm needles – fabric looks better at that tension.

Mods
Fronts: Provisionally cast on 15 stitches, knitted in stockinette, slipping 1st stitch for 7.5”. Then increased 1 stitch on one side only three times on right on knit rows only. 18 stitches total. Repeated for left front, increasing on left-hand side. Slipped live stitches on holder.

Back: Unpicked provisional cast on left front, knitted across 15 stitches. Using backwards loop cast on, add 28 stitches. Unpick provisional cast on right front, knit across the 15 stitches. 68 stitches total. After 7.5 inches, increase 1 stitch on each knit row at each end 3 times. Purl back and turn work to RS. New total 74 stitches.

Body: With RS facing, knit across back, at end backwards loop cast on 2 stitches then knit across right front. Turn work (WS facing), purl across to opposite end of back piece. Backwards loop cast on 2 stitches, then purl across left front. 78+18+18 stitches = 114 stitches. Work in stockinette until work measures 12” from underarm.

Shaping: Follow shaping only on RS rows (sl1, ssk, k to last 3 stitches, k2tog, k1) (WS, sl1, p to end), decreasing 2 each RS row, repeated this several times, then switched to decreasing on both knit and purl rows once at each row end (RS: sl1, ssk, k to last 3, k2tog, k1, WS: sl1, p2tog, p to last 3, p2tog, p1). After a few more switched to decreasing twice (RS: sl1, ssk twice , k to last 5, k2tog twice, k1, WS: sl1, p2tog twice, p to last 5, p2tog twice, p1). 42 stitches left.

Edging: Knitted across live stitches at base, pick up 1 stitch in each slipped stitch and across collar. Continue with edging as written in pattern. 8 ridges, used decrease bind off.

Sleeves: 55 stitches picked up, start with 15 stitches centred at sleeve top, work short rows back and forth until all sleeve stitches are included. Edging as pattern, decrease bind off. Repeat twice.

The 2012 WIPs

I’m taking stock of my knitting. I have a habit of casting lots of things on, then setting them aside when I get distracted by the next shiny thing. Last Christmas I was in a similar sort of situation and I did make an effort and try and get several things finished properly.

So this year, I’m taking a similar approach. I have – much to my surprise – only 3 wips at the moment.

wip #1 – Kimono Wrap

Started January 2011

Incredibly dull to knit, hence the delay in actually getting anywhere with it. The stitch pattern is complicated enough that you have to pay attention but completely uninteresting so you get bored rather quickly with it. According to my notes – I started in early 2011 and picked it up again in November-December 2011, and again in March 2012. One sleeve is done and the second is started. The main body needs a back and left front panel and collar. Plus all the seaming. Fingers crossed this gets finished, as I do actually like the look of the knitted fabric. The bamboo tape has a lot of drape too which will work with this pattern even if it stretches considerably.

wip #2 – Skew

Started June 2011

Got one sock finished very quickly and just never got around to getting the other one done -oops!

wip #3 – Shipwreck Shawl

Started August 8 2012

The most recent wip and the one I’m least irritated by, given that it is 1500m of laceweight with several thousand beads attached. This one is going to take time. And while I’m up to the beaded section, knitting in the beads is not particularly interesting. So this one will probably get done in little bursts over a long period of time.