FO: Woolly Wormhead’s 2012 Mystery Hat

I got this finished a couple of days ago, but really only got around to photographing it (and sorting the pictures) yesterday. I’m really pleased with it.

My version is the largest size – knitted on the specified needle sizes and uses under three balls of the Drops Merino Extra Fine (which is incredibly smooshy and has great stitch definition).

It’s a great hat, and it did suit me. But it suited Mum too, and given the circumstances which have challenged this month, it seemed right that it went home with her.

I’ll knit another at some point in the future for me.

 

Office Organisation – Day 1

Well there is definitely an improvement, and quite a bit of horror.

That is between 6-7 hours of work to get it to that state (and what you cannot see in this picture is the double bed full of stuff which still needs sorting). The real horror comes from the seven and half black bags of rubbish and recycling (and the dead printer) which had to be removed. Why on earth do I keep so much?

Taking the positive from this: I’m now seven and half bags of stuff lighter, the printer is relocated, the desk is organised, my sewing machine fits on my desk and the area under the bed which is usable* now has space to store my fibre and yarn stash.

So looking at the list I drew up yesterday…

  1. To have a desk I can actually use. Done 20/11. It will be revised a bit over the next week or so, but it is useable!
  2. To have all my stationery and knitting / sewing bits and pieces sortedIn progress 20/11.
  3. To have my sewing machine set up somewhere I can actually use it. Done!
  4. To have a comfy sitting area on the bed (I’m anticipating lots of sewn and knitted cushions – I just need to actually make them).
  5. All my books, both academic and knitting organised.
  6. To get all the duplicate papers and articles removed.
  7. To make sure everything I can digitize is digitized.
  8. To get all my yarn and fibre stash neatly stored in this room.
  9. To clear the debacle which is under the desk… and the bed… and the chair. Pretty much the entire floor area. The bed and desk are done 20/11!

Quite a few things can be crossed off, which makes me happy.

Tomorrow the yarn stash gets sorted, and I start tackling the debris on the bed.

*Rather than the vast majority of the space under the bed which is being used to store all those random and peculiar items deemed necessary and appropriate for a ‘furnished’ apartment to have, but which have no earthly use other than taking up space. 

Bracing Myself

Tomorrow, the plan is to start organising my office (a.k.a. the spare bedroom, store cupboard, general dumping ground… you get the picture). The whole room needs gutting. And there is much to throw out and recycle – things need to go. On one level I’m dreading it, but I cannot wait to get a room I can actually use properly.

Ideally I’d like…

  1. To have a desk I can actually use.
  2. To have all my stationery and knitting / sewing bits and pieces sorted.
  3. To have my sewing machine set up somewhere I can actually use it.
  4. To have a comfy sitting area on the bed (I’m anticipating lots of sewn and knitted cushions – I just need to actually make them).
  5. All my books, both academic and knitting organised.
  6. To get all the duplicate papers and articles removed.
  7. To make sure everything I can digitize is digitized.
  8. To get all my yarn and fibre stash neatly stored in this room.
  9. To clear the debacle which is under the desk… and the bed… and the chair. Pretty much the entire floor area.

That is it for starters… so just a little work to do.

24 Hours On…

So one day has passed since I launched the Kentigern Blanket pattern. And I may or may not have stalked it slightly obsessively on Ravelry ever since.

It was a wonderful feeling to see it be favourited for the first time, and then queued by someone. And then someone purchased it! That made me inordinately happy.

After a couple of very rough weeks (which followed on from several rough months), this has been a much needed (and very appreciated) boost.

Since that point, some more people have purchased it, many more have favourited it (total is now 110!) and 22 people have queued the pattern. There have been some lovely comments on the forums too.

So to those of you who have seen the pattern* – favourited it, queued it, bought it, or even just said something nice about it – Thank You!

* If you haven’t seen it yet… click here!

Free Pattern: Fieldwork

In order to work out the system for uploading and formatting patterns onto Ravelry I decided to start with launching a free pattern.

Fieldwork is a very simple, one-skein hat that I drew up when the BF asked for a new winter hat. Since he spends some of his time tramping about in fields – it seemed best to create a hard-wearing, smart (in case he has to talk to people) and – most importantly – cosy hat.

It uses the wonderfully sheepy Rowan Purelife British Breeds Chunky which knits up incredibly quickly.

For the Ravelry pattern page click here and for the pattern itself click here.

 

Wovember, Week #2

What I’ve Been Wearing

Exactly the same as last week… mainly my Bláithín and my regular pair of  mittens. I did manage to finish my Socks so I’ve had those on too.

What I’ve Been Knitting

Korknisse! Lots of them… current total is at 21. And of course, the socks I finished. And I’ve just started (only halfway through the first repeat) the second installment of the the Woolly Wormhead Mystery Hat KAL.

What I’ve Been Spinning

Still nothing.. but I bought some hand-dyed Shetland Top this week.