FO: Hemlock Ring Shawl

I loved this blanket pattern when I first saw it but figured I would get more use from a shawl. I originally tried to knit this up in Cobweb Lace – never again… some of my feather and fan sections had 35 stitches, others had 87 – there should have been 56. Just didn’t work. So it was frogged and the pattern put on the backburner.

I’d started knitting up a top in this yarn (Rowan RYC Bamboo Soft) but the drape was wrong and the distortion was already visible. Bamboo has a habit of stretching. So I figured that a pattern which was meant to be blocked and stretched would work better – hence the decision to knit a shawl. Then I remembered this pattern.

DSCN8227

I actually finished this several days ago, I was just waiting for it to finish blocking. I’m really pleased with it. I ended up just doing a basic cast off rather than the knitted or crocheted options included with the pattern. It is just a nice size to wrap around my neck too.

For my project page, click here.

The 2012 WIPs

I’m taking stock of my knitting. I have a habit of casting lots of things on, then setting them aside when I get distracted by the next shiny thing. Last Christmas I was in a similar sort of situation and I did make an effort and try and get several things finished properly.

So this year, I’m taking a similar approach. I have – much to my surprise – only 3 wips at the moment.

wip #1 – Kimono Wrap

Started January 2011

Incredibly dull to knit, hence the delay in actually getting anywhere with it. The stitch pattern is complicated enough that you have to pay attention but completely uninteresting so you get bored rather quickly with it. According to my notes – I started in early 2011 and picked it up again in November-December 2011, and again in March 2012. One sleeve is done and the second is started. The main body needs a back and left front panel and collar. Plus all the seaming. Fingers crossed this gets finished, as I do actually like the look of the knitted fabric. The bamboo tape has a lot of drape too which will work with this pattern even if it stretches considerably.

wip #2 – Skew

Started June 2011

Got one sock finished very quickly and just never got around to getting the other one done -oops!

wip #3 – Shipwreck Shawl

Started August 8 2012

The most recent wip and the one I’m least irritated by, given that it is 1500m of laceweight with several thousand beads attached. This one is going to take time. And while I’m up to the beaded section, knitting in the beads is not particularly interesting. So this one will probably get done in little bursts over a long period of time.

Wovember, Week #4

What I’ve Been Wearing

A bit of everything really. It has been nice to get home and have a good rummage through all my finished pieces. I’ve had the opportunity to wear a few of my favourites this week – primarily my January Morning cardigan, the Persian Bull mittens, Vortex, the Unwind Wrap (a.k.a. Violetti), a Bobble Hat and of course, my ever-present Stripelets.

What I’ve Been Knitting

Safe to say… not wool. I was tempted by bamboo and silk yarns and have been knitting those instead.

What I’ve Been Spinning

Still nothing! Have spent some of the week drooling over spinning wheels online. When I get a proper job I’m getting one. I did get the HilltopCloud Best of British November Fibre in the post this week. It is a 75% Shetland / 25% Kid Mohair blend called ‘Sitka Spruce’ and it is gorgeous. I have an immense urge to start spinning it up immediately but am being sensible and not doing that (since I have other things to do) – so have resorted to keeping it next to me on the sofa and just pet it occasionally.

 

Image from here.

Blame it on the Bamboo…

… and the Silk. Originally when I sat down and considered the options for blogging in November I had planned to ascribe to the ideas presented by the whole Wovember initiative. Then all hell broke loose and things changed. I didn’t have access to my stash or my fibre or my knitted wardrobe of finished objects. All these things put a dampener on carrying out Wovember properly.

So here I am.. playing with silk (the Shipwreck Shawl) and bamboo (for an as yet un-named and un-designed top) rather than working with wool… oops.

 

Image from here.