FO: Wanderlust

See I’m being pro-active and actually blogging properly again. And finishing up my summary of the 2012 finished objects is probably a good start. I finished the Wanderlust¬†mittens back before Christmas and just haven’t got around to getting a picture of them until now.

DSCN8259

They’re very cosy!

I included a few modifications to suit my needs:

  • Cast on 66 stitches rather than 86 (only 3 cable repeats).
  • Used knitted cast on for thumb hole (turned work to RS to do this).
  • Inserted last cable on row 13 of the repeat rather than 15 as was unsure of yardage left (there was enough in the end).
  • Moved thumb hole to opposite end so that seam was placed over the palm rather than the back of the hand.
  • Did not cast off but instead just grafted stitches to the cast on edge. (Could have used a provisional cast on but figured this was easier – it was).

Spin: Ring-a-Rosie Shetland Top

I’d picked up this fibre at Ring-a-Rosies in Whitley Bay back in November – I just loved the colourway. But I wasn’t sure what to do with it.

Then the new Knitty came out (Winter bis 2012) and with it, the new Wanderlust pattern which suggested handspun as an excellent option for the pattern. So while I didn’t have enough fibre for full-size mittens I certainly had enough for an abbreviated versions.

This was my first time spinning singles, which I know I overspun, but careful management when winding and knitting ensured that the overspun sections were corrected. I got a slightly variegated weight yarn but the majority came out as worsted.