FO: Slip-Stitch Cowl

Another p/hop acquisition – Noro Transitions – a curious yarn. One of the commenters on Ravelry describes it as ‘horrible yarn put together from floor sweepings I think’.  I do not necessarily hold with this statement entirely (note the entirely). This yarn truly is a bit of everything – 55% Wool, 10% Silk, 7% Alpaca, 7% Angora, 7% Cashmere.

The first part of the skein was… how shall we say… interesting. Lots of very short fibres, with what I suspect was the silk. The overall shade of this section jarred somewhat with the rest of it. So I did some careful editing. I discarded the first section and another short stretch from the middle of the skein which also resembled the first part.

Once those odd sections were eliminated, what was left was about 75g of lovely tonal grays and browns, with a couple of stretches of more opalescent colours on a gray background. Very nice! The nicest stretch was the one I think is angora – soft, fuzzy and a beautiful pale gray.

I wanted something simple to show off the fibres and the colours, plus a pattern which would work with the limited yardage. I decided that a neat-fitting cowl may offer the best proposition. Propitiously the new issue of Knitty (Winter 2012) came out and included a pair of slip-stitch socks (the Chimaera pattern) which used this stitch technique to help soften and blend the colours in variegated yarn.

Following the set of the Gap-tastic cowl I’ve knitted previously, I cast on an odd number of stitches (67) on 8mm needles, and k1 sl1 in circles until I ran out of yarn. The odd number of cast on stitches ensured that I could just keep knitting without need to check rows and that all stitches which were knitted on the first row were slipped on the second and so on during the subsequent rows.

It still needs blocking, but I have a lovely cosy little cowl. Which is also reversible.

FO: Christmas Baubles

Using the entertainerly named Balls Up! pattern available for free on Ravelry. I had a couple of foam balls from my Grandma’s stash (no idea what they were for) which were a good size. So baubles they became. The second casing was a bit small for the foam ball so I just used stuffing to fill that one. They worked out better than hoped too. And they are currently adorning our Christmas tree.

And unlike the other baubles which we broke this year… I cannot damage them – at least I don’t think I can…

FO: Facecloths

Lots of them. Four to be exact. Despite wondering why on earth people would knit facecloths and dishcloths when I first joined Ravelry. I was converted when I ended up with a pile of cotton and no idea what to do with it. So I started knitting facecloths. I’m converted. However, some of these are now starting to show signs of wear and tear. And I was fortunate enough to snag a couple of balls of Sugar’n Cream at The Yarn Cake p/hop swap earlier in the month.

So lots more facecloths. I tend to knit them bigger than required and then sew them so they are double thickness – it makes the shower gel stay in better.

Knitting like the Wind!

The joke is in the title… a few years ago when we were moving apartment and were in something of rush (seriously, next time we’re hiring a moving company to do it) we were sitting down and eating lunch but we needed to get on with things. So I came out with ‘Eat! Eat like the wind!

This has now become a stock phrase in our household, generally used when anyone is in a hurry. So ‘eat/bath/knit/spin/crochet like the wind!’ is often heard.

But recently it seems applicable. There’ll be a fair few finished objects posts coming up over the next few days as I’ve been knitting quite a bit.

You have been warned…

FO: Skew!

Or the Socks of Shame as I’ve been referring to them. Since it has been a year and half since I got one knitted up. On the other hand, a year and a half for a full second sock is better than previous attempts. My first pair of socks took over a year and half to knit a third of a foot – so that is definitely an improvement…. or is that worse?

The construction of these socks does make them a very cool knit. And a quick one too. I cast on the second sock on a Friday night and it was finished by tea-time on Monday. Which does nothing to excuse the delay in getting it done.

DSCN8016

FO: Hemlock Ring Shawl

I loved this blanket pattern when I first saw it but figured I would get more use from a shawl. I originally tried to knit this up in Cobweb Lace – never again… some of my feather and fan sections had 35 stitches, others had 87 – there should have been 56. Just didn’t work. So it was frogged and the pattern put on the backburner.

I’d started knitting up a top in this yarn (Rowan RYC Bamboo Soft) but the drape was wrong and the distortion was already visible. Bamboo has a habit of stretching. So I figured that a pattern which was meant to be blocked and stretched would work better – hence the decision to knit a shawl. Then I remembered this pattern.

DSCN8227

I actually finished this several days ago, I was just waiting for it to finish blocking. I’m really pleased with it. I ended up just doing a basic cast off rather than the knitted or crocheted options included with the pattern. It is just a nice size to wrap around my neck too.

For my project page, click here.