#Giftalong2014 Days 1+2

It has been busy over here since the Giftalong started, I’ve managed not to spend all my time on the Ravelry or Pinterest. What I mean is that I’ve taken food and sleeping breaks, and work breaks. I haven’t managed to do much knitting!

I’ve been having fun repinning some cool things over on Pinterest, I’m enjoying the opportunity to browse some designers I haven’t encountered before. I’m in love with a children’s cardigan by Jenny Wiebe – never mind for the kids –  I want one for me! I seem to have a thing about colour-blocking at the moment – Michelle Meyer has a gorgeous shawl which is definitely tempting me too.

Today I’ve mainly been looking at mittens. I have some lovely fibre from Hilltop Cloud – a gradient shading from white to dark gray.

My favourite mittens were sadly chomped by the dreaded moths so I’m on the lookout for a new pair. I haven’t spun the fibre yet so I’m not limited by yarn weight. You can see my current favourites on my Giftalong2014 favourites board on Pinterest.

I have a few mittens and wristwarmers included in the Giftalong too: Planetarium Wristwarmers, Buttons! Mittens, Hildasay Mittens and Voar Wristwarmers.

 

And don’t forget – you can find all my #giftalong2014 patterns here, and I’m chatting about the giftalong on Twitter and Instagram too!

FO: Wanderlust

See I’m being pro-active and actually blogging properly again. And finishing up my summary of the 2012 finished objects is probably a good start. I finished the Wanderlust mittens back before Christmas and just haven’t got around to getting a picture of them until now.

DSCN8259

They’re very cosy!

I included a few modifications to suit my needs:

  • Cast on 66 stitches rather than 86 (only 3 cable repeats).
  • Used knitted cast on for thumb hole (turned work to RS to do this).
  • Inserted last cable on row 13 of the repeat rather than 15 as was unsure of yardage left (there was enough in the end).
  • Moved thumb hole to opposite end so that seam was placed over the palm rather than the back of the hand.
  • Did not cast off but instead just grafted stitches to the cast on edge. (Could have used a provisional cast on but figured this was easier – it was).